Thursday, September 12, 2013

A Dance with Dragons

 SPOILER ALERT



     This summer I read A Dance with Dragons by George R.R. Martin. It's the fifth and most recent book in his series A Song of Ice and Fire. This book actually takes place at the same time as the previous book, A Feast for Crows, does. This did lead to some confusion, but it wasn't too bad.

     The first half of A Dance with Dragons focused on things that happened in the North and the East. We caught up with a lot of characters we hadn't seen much or at all in the last book, including Danaerys Targaryen, Tyrion Lannister, and Jon Snow. We see these characters undergo some big changes- Jon has to adapt to being Lord Commander of the Night's Watch, and things go from bad to worse to unbearable to frightening beyond belief for poor Dany. Around the second half of the book we start to see chapters from the perspectives of people we saw a lot in A Feast for Crows, such as Cersei Lannister. Boy, is Cersei in trouble.

     I don't want to give away everything, even with the spoiler alert. Let's just say that on the one thing not a lot of good things happen, but on the other hand, it isn't like the end of book three. For anyone keeping up with the TV show (I'm not), the end of book three has already begun. RIP Robb Stark. I enjoyed this book, but not much really happened that made me want to keep reading until the very end. I wasn't excited. Of course, the epilogue made me want to keep reading straight away. I am excited to read The Winds of Winter.

No comments:

Post a Comment