You know Katy Perry, Lana Del Rey, Tegan and Sara
I bet you don't know Squeeze
They're old
You know "Cups," "Get Lucky," "Little Talks"
I bet you haven't heard "Up the Junction"
It's old
Thirteen years
Listening to the same thousand rock songs
Squeeze
The Beatles
The Clash
The Pogues
(my mom has a thing for UK artists)
My first favorite song was
"Love Me Do"
Singing in the car
Blaring
"Electric Trains" "Lost In the Supermarket"
They talked about sad childhoods
Being unknown. unnoticed
can't quite relate
but I could appreciate the guitars
Stories. Always stories
Love stories sad stories true stories stories based on books
Haven't heard "Fairytale of New York" in three years
still one of my all time favorite songs
The woman died in a boating accident
what are the lyrics what are the lyrics what are the lyrics
i love how much thought u put into ur poem. i can feel the emotion and i know that this matters to u very much. i love how u did it so differently and this shows a different side of u i never knew about before. amazing details and great work.
ReplyDeleteI think you did an excellent job writing this poem. I also really like old bands and i think people don't appreciate them anymore because there are "better pop songs" around, that in a couple of years won't even be remembered, but these old bands are legend, and always will be.
ReplyDeleteYeah! Tegan and Sara all the way! Alright, now that I've got that out of my system...I totally agree with this poem. I happen to be one of those lucky people as to have heard of and listened to at least a few songs from every single band that you've mention here, and I agree: many people don't realize how great this music is because they listen to what Maya called "better pop". The only "better pop" I've heard is all 80's inspired pops with about five billion keyboard and synth parts, in which you hear how much of an inspiration Bruce Springsteen has on the artists.
ReplyDeleteAlso, I love the short, quick sentences (phrases?) that this poem is written in, and I love the way that makes the poem sound almost wistful, as if the person telling it is rather distracted of those lad times when everyone listen to good music.
Wow I did not realize how long that comment/rant was.
Delete