Saturday, November 16, 2013

My Childhood Love

     My family was always into movies. I mean, we were into books too- any kind of entertainment was big when I was little. But my parents love movies, and they wanted me to love movies. So, naturally, one of my first loves was Disney movies. Namely? Mulan.

       I have a dear friend whose opinions differs from mine in many ways, and this is a big one. She's told me that Disney movies give children the wrong ideas about life and romance, and teach young girls that they should want to be princesses, doing nothing and being doted on. But I don't think so.

      Mulan is a beautiful movie, and probably my favorite of all time. Mulan is strong and brave and does everything she does for her family. She stands up for what's right, even if she is afraid. She risks her life for what she believes in. And guess what? She is not a princess. If I had to pick a role model out of all the Disney girls, it would, without a doubt, be her.
    

      When I was little, I watched this movie so often that I still have all the ads from the DVD memorized (I think they were as much a part of my childhood as the movie itself, if a little less meaningful). I still watch it pretty often. It makes me happy and it inspires me to be strong.



Disney movie trivia!
10 points if you know who wrote Toy Story.
10 points if you recognize Mulan's speaking voice from someone on a new ABC show.



7 comments:

  1. haha it's Ming-Na Wen, a.k.a. "the cavalry" from Agents of Shield!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. great show i love it sooooooooo much. i also love your choice of movie and she isn't a princess. it seems that the writer wants you to thing that she and her troop leader hit it off and she became empress or the wife of the leader of the military.

      Delete
  2. I like how you connect your experiences with Mulan in with your description of its moral and plot.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great job. I like how you showed two sides to Mulan, your friends opinion, which looked at it negatively, and your opinion which shows it in a positive look and showing it's true meaning.

    ReplyDelete