Sunday, February 2, 2014

Secrets in Insurgent

SPOILERS


     After reading Divergent by Veronica Roth about a year ago, I finally have my hands on the next book, Insurgent. This series takes place in a future Chicago where society is divided into five factions: Abnegation, Amity, Candor, Dauntless, and Erudite. Something I've noticed about these books is the huge impact that secrets have on the characters and story. This is true in most books, but it's especially prominent in Insurgent. The book's tagline is "One choice can destroy you," and so can secrets. I connected the way people have secrets in Insurgent to the way they have them in real life.
     Many people keep secrets for their safety or that of someone else. The main character, Tris, and her boyfriend are Divergent - they are suited for more than one of their society's five factions. The Divergent are immune to mind-controlling serums, usually called simulations. Anybody who is Divergent must keep it a secret. The Erudite (the intelligent faction) will kill any Divergent they find, likely to prevent there from being uncontrollable citizens. The Divergent were eventually revealed by a sleeping gas that did not affect them, and that made them far more vulnerable. In real life, most secrets aren't life-or-death scenarios, but it does show that some secrets should be kept... And that all secrets come to light eventually.
     Of course, some people also keep secrets for their own purposes. Tris' boyfriend, Four's father beat him when he was young, and he kept it a secret out of fear, and to try to save his dignity. Tris killed her friend Will when he was under a mind-control serum, and kept it secret until a lie-detector test forced her to reveal it. When she's asked what she regrets, she responds: "I regret... [shooting] Will, while he was under the simulation." These secrets are a little more like the ones people have today (although most people haven't shot their mind-controlled friend). The motivations behind these secrets are much more similar to secrets we have - to save friendships, to keep one's dignity, out of fear, or out of guilt.
     Despite the fact that secrets cause so many problems, it's difficult not to have them. The Candor are the truthful faction, and they do not allow secrets. When you become part of the Candor, you have to be asked personal questions under truth serum. Because they are truthful all the time, other factions see Candor as abrasive and mean. Similarly, the Abnegation are the selfless faction, and they believe that keeping secrets is selfish. They are called 'Stiffs' and are made fun of for being the strictest faction. These groups recognize the danger and potential harm of keeping secrets but they're looked down upon for it.
     The way people keep secrets in Insurgent, which is not at all a realistic book, is mostly the same as the way people keep secrets in real life. Characters that have secrets inevitably have them revealed, and characters that try not to have secrets are ridiculed. There's no middle ground.

3 comments:

  1. Okay Laurel: I kind of skimmed this because I really want to read this book and you wrote spoilers... but...
    Regardless of the content, I really like the way you describe the events and issues of the book: it really connects with the reader, as you tell your thoughts like a story.
    I can't wait to read this book, and see how it compares with your response!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I've been meaning to read this book for a while, however I never actually got to read it yet. From reading your response, your personal connection between the book series and knowledge of secrets really encorgaged me to want to read this book even more! Personally, i can relate and connect to your statements about sercets; depending on how "deep" or important they are, secrets can really control people’s thoughts and actions. When you gave examples from the text, you provided your opinion as well with a little comedy; which I think made your response more enjoyable and easier to understand/connect to. Overall, you wrote a wonderful response! I can't wait to get to read the book!

    ReplyDelete
  3. great examples! i have read this book and i completely agree with you that secrets are a big theme in this series. i love how you connected this to the outside world and how the people around us keep secrets. you also added nice inputs of your thoughts about this issue. overall, very well written and thought out, great job!

    ReplyDelete